Thursday 2 August 2007

Day 11. Monday 16th July 2007

KIRIKKALE, TURKEY – SIVAS, TURKEY

Today went very well. I did 100 miles and then took XS to have her main stand welded. The garage was mainly doing agricultural repairs, and they have a gas welder which is good because it means that the welding will not interfere with any electrical components on the XS – this brings to mind the welding that McGregor and co’ had done on their BMW (The Long Way Round) which ruined the electrical component associated with the braking system and so rendered the machine un-ridable.
Unfortunately it was not possible to effect any kind of permanent repair to the exhaust fault, so we just stuck that loose stud back in to its hole and I will need to monitor the condition of that joint regularly.
Everyone at the garage was pleased to see the XS and the work was undertaken with enthusiasm.

The roads are becoming a bit rougher with some quite sections (1 or 2 miles) being under repair at the moment so progress was down to 15mph and still that seemed a bit hasty in some bits. However, in the main the roads are still 50mph+ and there are some sections which are really excellent and as fast as one would wish for.

Weather is cold and windy again and so back on with the thick shirt and windproof lining for my jacket.

The scenery is spectacular and in great variety – one hour we are in mountains and the next in plains. A most interesting region and people seem to be very friendly.

A boy at the service station kept pestering me to polish my boots (which I find embarrassing) but I went ahead because he was determined he wanted to do them and after I paid him I bought him and his friend sandwiches and a drink. (Jonny Krause)

No comments: