Friday 3 August 2007

Day 16 Saturday 21st July 2007

Semnan, Iran – Eslam Qual’eh, Iran

It was a pleasure to get up this morning and ride straight back to the main road – without having to explore the city before leaving it.

Having reached the main road I thought I could see another European style bike up ahead and wondered who I might have chanced across. However, on catching up with this machine, I realised that the reason it was bulkier than the local bikes was because, amongst other things tied to his bike, the chap had a wheelbarrow strapped behind him.

A nice surprise today. I asked at a small town about a hotel and was told that there is none here but I was welcome to sleep at the Mosque if I liked. I was invited to bring XS into the confines of the Mosque and then sleep under the shelter surrounding the prayer hall. There are shops and washing facilities all on site and everything is lovely and clean and peaceful. It is quite usual for travellers to stay at Mosques in Iran – if I had known this then Tehran would never have had the pleasure of my company, I can tell you. (Jonny Krause)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonny
You don't know me but I've been following your adventures with great interest. I aim to follow your route next year on a restored 1953 500 British single.
Anyway, your updates seem to have stopped and I wanted to send you some good luck wishes. Hope it's just long riding days and lack of convenient internet access in Pakistan.
Maybe you can post a current day when you get a chance to let all of us who are keenly following you know you are safe and still on the road; then fill in all the missing days at the end of your journey?
Take care and good luck!
Gordon