Thursday 2 August 2007

Day 13 Wednesday 18th July 2007-08-02

Agri, Turkey – Tabriz, Iran.

The border crossing from Turkey to Iran was a pleasure. I was met coming into Iran by one lady official who guided me through the various stages and then presented me with a packet of biscuits once the formalities were complete – now that is how all borders should be!

I needed petrol straight away so I pulled in to the first fuel station. The chap asked for my fuel card and of course I don’t have one – or indeed have any idea what this fuel card is about. He explains to me that fuel is quite cheap in Iran – 5 Pence a Litre! – and so the government has issued ration cards to stop people wasting fuel. But there’s a snag – it takes at least a month to get that card and I need fuel now, tomorrow and the next day.

The attendant says it’s impossible because the pump is only activated when a customer inserts the ration card and so I go to the next petrol station to try. I get the same answer except now I really do need to fill up or I’m not going anywhere. So instead of riding away, this time I take my coat off and sit down on the kerb, leaving XS parked at the petrol pump. After 10 minutes the attendant has asked several customers if they would be willing to use their card on my bike and then someone agrees and I get my fuel. So, from now on I will just have to be resolute in my quest for fuel – a bit of a pain, but not insurmountable.

I came across a Heavy Haulage outfit with some American built Mack trucks, along with Iranian built copies of the Macks. The crew were friendly and I had a nice cup of tea with them inside the living quarters of the yellow Iranian built truck. They also asked if I wanted to play cards, but I thought I might need my shirt if the weather became cold again, so I declined.

I’ve ridden for 12 hours today and am pleased to be in my 3 Pound hotel room – basic, but nice and clean. The roads so far in Iran have been very good and a pleasure to ride on. (Jonny Krause)

No comments: