Thursday 9 August 2007

Day 23 Saturday 30th July 2007

LUDHIANA, INDIA – NEW DELHI, INDIA

And so, after a couple of days of lovely rest with superb food, I am again off on the last leg (200 miles) of the journey.

The roads are good and traffic is light at 6am. The route takes me through some quite large towns and construction on a new bridge adds 45 minutes to the journey. Still, I make good progress and reach Delhi outskirts at 10:45 where I am met by Dr.Sashanka who is administrator of the 2 JBF projects – Mobile Cattle Clinic and Informal School for working children.

We head straight for Viklang Basti where the Informal School is situated and there I get a great welcome from the children and teachers. The staff from the Mobile Cattle Clinic are also there and we have a good time just all being together once more.

It seems a long time ago since I set off from Foulden and headed down the A1 on the first bit of a long way. I feel very lucky that none of the terrible things that could have happened did happen and I feel greatly privileged to have met so many good people along the way.

Regarding undertaking the ride in the first place, to be frank, at times I could hear my Mums childhood rebuke ringing in my ears: “Jonathan, I do wish you would think before you act” but generally I was pleased to be doing the ride, even when things were not going so smoothly.

I would like to thank all the folks who helped me prepare for this, some of whom I have listed but many of whom are there and we know who you are. Perhaps above all, I would like to thank those people that I met along the way who offered help to a stranger. This is the mark of true humanity and compassion.

Thanks:

Caroline for putting up with my wild and ill-thought out ideas.
Mum for teaching me to look out as well as in.
Keek and Rick for the essential modifications done to XS.
Katy for all the things she did – and I can’t remember if I said please.
Jane and James for their help and advice with Iranian Visa maze.
George for managing to keep me interested in physical fitness for more than 2 days.
Gary for his excellent route planning.
Everyone who sponsored the ride – all journey costs covered by me, so all donations straight to JBF.
All JBF staff in India who have made it possible for me to be involved in such Stirling work.

Jonny Krause.
Proprietor PGM(Motorcycle Spares)
Trustee JBF(Scotland)

New Delhi, India.
30th July 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonny, nice trip, nice story. Im also a Yamaha triple 850 rider in Germany and can imagine what you have done. Our iron pig is no desert bike but may be it will get some punctures, but it will stay the whole way.
I wish you all the best for 2008 and a happy new year. I invite you you to look at eurotripler.de or mo2bikes.de to visit our european Yamaha triple group.
Regards Kai Sievers