Friday 3 August 2007

Day 14 Thursday 19th July 2007

Tabriz, Iran – Tehran, Iran

The roads are really very nice and the weather is warming up nicely. Folks are friendly and I am having a lovely time. But then I have to try and find a place to stay in Tehran.

I started the day dreading this search and I was right to do so. An absolute nightmare of a place to negotiate with lots of one-way’s and very few signs. Everyone I asked gave me different opinions of where best to look for a hotel and I was beginning to feel that the hunt was futile.

I must have had that look of hopelessness on my face when the last man was trying to describe what part of the city I should head for – because instead of sending me on my long and useless way, he instead offered to lead me to a hotel. Well, I am pleased he did that because even for him it took 30 minutes and many miles of this way and that before we reached the section of city which seems to have had all the hotels crammed into a few streets. Why not spread them out a bit? Did anyone think of that?

It is now past 9 pm and I have ridden 400 miles today and then spent 2.5 hours roaming around Tehran trying to find a hotel! A bit knackered and not looking forward to trying to find the motorway tomorrow morning I can tell you. Anyway, a lovely hot shower and a bit of tucker and suddenly things look a bit different.

I realise how lucky I am that my guide, Hamit, took the trouble to show me the way because I am sure the only way I was going to find this place on my own is by pure chance. (Jonny Krause)

No comments: