Friday 3 August 2007

Day 15 Friday 20th July 2007

Tehran, Iran – Semnan, Iran

Today started badly but ended well. After such a long day yesterday, I then slept badly and awoke at 5am with loose bowels. Luckily C has packed some Diocalm and one tablet soon settled things. But by then I was really so tired and I slept until past 9am and back on the road by 10.

Then the job of trying to locate the motorway. Again the one way system and again plenty of people telling me “Don’t worry, it is straight on” – which was rubbish because only a few streets further there was no straight on, only left or right. And no bloody signs – even when I was only a few streets away from the motorway entrance, still the signs were just indicating local places, nothing to hint which way I should go if I wanted to leave the city.

Eventually some police stopped when they saw me trying an illegal turn. Once they had quizzed me about this and that, they set their lights flashing and led me to the motorway – I got the feeling they were really just getting rid of me onto someone else’s patch, but for me it was great because at least I was now on the main road again.

Reaching Semnan I immediately flagged down a passing motorist and asked them if they would guide me to a hotel – cheeky, but I really didn’t feel much like spending the evening ‘exploring’ as one Turkish man had put it. The first people I stopped agreed and they took me straight to a hotel, just a few minutes from the motorway. In fact, I again had a choice of hotels and the 2 that stood out were Ghods Hotel and Oral Hotel. Being in a foreign land far from home, I thought it best to play safe and opted for Ghods Hotel which turned out to be clean and respectable as you might expect.

Strangely, I am not receiving any texts from C now, but the same text from Katy has been delivered no less than 30 times. (Jonny Krause)

No comments: